ʞ / fiction / Spirals /

Aftermath

a short story by Lexi Summer Hale

Baroness Crane Voidblossom folded her arms.

“You,” she said slowly, like it was a powerful curse in and of itself. “You are the very last person I would have expected to materialize uninvited upon my veranda, just after the First Empress or perhaps Khata'e herself. Can you give me one single reason I shouldn’t have my greycloaks beat you to a pulp and hand you to the Justicariat on a gilded platter?” Her bodyguard cracked his knuckles, grinning.

Raven Starsoul smiled, her teeth gleaming white under the perpetual evening sun of the Twilight District. “Milady,” she purred, curtseying with a flourish. “I know you take me for some sort of criminal and you blame me for the destruction aboard your void-station. It’s why I felt the need to come in person, really. There is a great deal of misunderstanding between us, and I would like to take full responsibility for that.” She snapped her fingers, and a slave in an elegant robe stepped forward, opening a case to reveal a bottle of wine. “That is why I bring a peace offering. A 744 Carnelian je ṕo due, from my own wine cellar. I do favor it so, and I can personally attest to the vintage. I presume to hope you might humble me with a gift of your priceless time in turn, if only the merest sliver of a moment.”

Lady Crane sighed, and gestured at the porch swing. “Take a seat, if you must.”

“Blessed be your House.” Raven smiled, sliding her slim, boxy sunglasses down her nose as she sat. “My cherished Lady, you are owed ten thousand apologies and ten for the calamity that befell your Lotus — apologies and beyond. My shamed soul cries out in regret that I could not control the situation on Lotus well enough to prevent such grievous harm to your property, and I would very much like to make what amends to you lie within my considerable power.”

“If I sold that ṕo due to the highest bidder, the profit — including the auction house cut — might cover a tenth of what it will cost to repair Lotus and appease all the guilds and companies you’ve pissed off.” Lady Crane shook her head. “Morningstar has already pulled out completely. Do you have any idea how much money they made me?

“The wine is my own gift to you, dear Lady, nothing more. I would very much like to help you recoup the damages owed you.”

“Recoup damages? You make it sound like a lawsuit.”

“Because I think that’s the best way for us to get what we both want.” Raven intertwined her fingers absently. “The Justicariat did not warn you or attempt to work with you when they boarded Lotus. The regime of her Radiance disrespecting the simple rights of honest tradeswomen I cannot abide, let alone those of landed gentry.”

Lady Crane laughed bitterly. “I admit I hold in my heart no particular love for the Justicariat after their… indiscretion, but none of this would have happened if you hadn’t turned Lotus into your personal bordello. I’ve long been tarred as an accomplice of yours by the Blood; it is no doubt why the Justicariat chose not to coordinate with me. You are a cancer upon my reputation.”

“Which is absurd,” said Raven. “Although I have always sought meticulously to respect your rights and ownership of Lotus, we have never once collaborated.”

“You have always paid your rent on time,” Lady Crane admitted. “You’ve committed many crimes, but until now none against me, as I reckon it.”

Raven laughed. “I’ve been accused of many crimes, certainly. Much as you’ve been accused of associating with me. It is easy to impugn the honor of those whose power you fear, something I think we’ve both been victims of.”

“You are nothing like me,” Lady Crane shot back. “I am a Lady of the Blood, and you—”

“I am an honest woman of finance, who does not fear to work hand in hand with the desperate and the marginalized of our empire. It is not a clean business, I would hardly pretend otherwise, but it is a necessary one.” Raven leaned forward, removing her glasses. “Lady Crane, I respect you greatly. I know if someone had done to me what the Justicariat has done to you, I would want justice. That is why I’m here today. To help you find either justice, or at least compensation.”

“Speak plainly, Starsoul. What are you offering me?”

“Two things. Firstly, a zero-interest loan of one million sovereigns platinum, to begin repairing the damage done to Lotus immediately. Secondly, full financial backing for a lawsuit against the Governor and the Justicariat to recover damages from their attack. Thirdly, all skilled personnel available to me to carry out repairs on Lotus at no cost to you. And if the legal proceedings do not go favorably, I will fully and unconditionally forgive the loan.”

Lady Crane blinked several times.

“I must be losing my hearing,” she said. “What did you just offer me?”

“What the true culprits here never will.” Raven stood, stepped forward, and gently took Lady Crane’s hand. “The attack on Lotus was an affront to us both. It is your property, my home. We should be working together. And I know you don’t trust me. That’s why I am assuming all risk. I want to show you that, despite those fools who shame the Blood by slandering folk they have never met, I am an honorable woman.”

“So you expect me to put my blood and seal on a covenant with you? With you!?”

“Nothing of the sort. I offer the loan as a gentlewoman’s agreement. I guard my honor with my life, and I believe you too are an honorable woman, my Lady.”

“I—” Lady Crane shook her head. “I need to think about this.”

“Of course.” Raven bowed. “Take all the time you need, dear Crane.” An expertly-calligraphed business card snapped into her fingers. “I will be returning to Lotus tomorrow morning, but this card names my link sigils for the major in-system providers. Contact me whenever you’ve made up your mind.”

Her hand shaking, Crane took the card. “Yes. Well. Well, I might. I’ll consider it.”

“That is all I ask. Ten thousand blessings and ten to you and your family, star-cherished Luminance.” She raised a hand in farewell, as her slaves slide back the passenger doors to her grand, subtly armored and black-windowed transport. “I do hope you enjoy the wine.”